We have published the second episode of the Google Developer Podcast, just in time to get you ready for Google Developer Day which kicks off this week.
This weeks episode discusses:
News for Google Developers
- Check out the latest schedules and information about the event. Check the location!
- JavaOne recap: thoughts about the show, and the Google booth
- Discussing the new AJAX Feed controls
- Our thoughts on Searchology and Universal Search
- The new YouTube API blog was announced
- Featured project: GWT Maven Support
- Featured project: Hey, What's That?
We want to thank Pamela for taking the time to chat to us about Google Maps, and the Google Maps API.
What you will learn from Pamela:
- Her role, and background
- A little history on the Google Maps API
- Information about mashups
- How you can overlay map content such as MapWOW, Lord of the Rings, and your own
- How to be hard code with custom tiles, to give you a full level of detail
- How to use simple ground overlays
- About the Google Moon API
- How KML and Google Earth fit into Google Maps
- The magic of GGeoXml()
- What the Maps group is going to be doing for developer day
- How you can use Maps from within GWT, Rails, and other platforms
- What's GMap2, and how does the API handle versioning
- Enjoying the scroll-wheel zoom
- How My Maps fits into Google Maps
- How Google Maps helped launched the Ajax meme
- Pamela's favorite recent Maps mashups (bones, crop circles, and more)
- The sample code available in the gmaps-samples
- Using the Google Spreadsheet Data API as a data store
- Understanding the limitations on Google Maps API use
- What are the hidden features in the Google Maps API that people tend not to use
- Why you should GLog
- What the common issues that new Maps API users come across
- Best practices for developing Google Maps Mashups
As always, please contact us to let us know if there is anything that you would like to see on the podcast.