Tuesday, October 26, 2010

We’re giving away 10,000 Google TV devices. To you.

One of the things that makes Google TV different is that it has an Internet browser built-in so users have full access to the entire web on their television screens. Over the past few months, we’ve had many developers come to us seeking guidance on how to make their existing websites even better for the 10-foot TV experience. Many have even come to us with completely new designs for their existing websites.

For developers, building websites for TV is a new opportunity for creativity and provides a distribution channel to reach users in a new way. For users, better and more interesting websites mean that the overall Google TV experience gets even better. We know that developers must be at the heart of our ecosystem, building cool experiences for audiences to watch and enjoy, and we want to encourage a new generation of TV developers to come forward. Which is why, over the next few weeks, we are planning to give away 10,000 Google TV devices to help developers start building for TV.

This morning, we gave away more than 3,000 Google TV devices to attendees of the Adobe MAX conference. Additionally, we’ll be reaching out to thousands of web developers in the Google Code community to offer them a free device. Finally, if you are a professional web developer who wants to help make the Google TV experience even better and you don’t happen to fall into one of those two groups, please submit an entry to our Google TV Web Developer Promotion and include a short summary about the type of interesting website your company would like to create or optimize for Google TV. We’re planning to select 2,500 winners from those entries to receive a free Google TV device.

For a bit of inspiration, check out some of the latest Spotlight sites that have just launched on Google TV. A few of our favorites include Net-A-Porter, which lets you watch runway videos and shop for high fashion; Meegenius, a place where you can read and customize children’s books; TuneIn, a personal radio for your TV; and The Onion, which always gives us a good laugh.

To get started building websites for Google TV, we’ve provided new documentation and a Google TV Web forum to help developers better engage in the process. We’re excited to see what you all come up with. Happy coding!

Update on 10/27: To clarify, this giveaway is only for U.S based developers. We hope to make Google TV available in other markets soon.

By Amanda Surya, Google TV Developer Relations Team

37 comments:

  1. I know I am reaching here, but how about one Google TV be given to a consumer, who can then provide real life usage information back to everyone! I humbly submit my name for consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only for US-based companies :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any timeline for distribution of Google TV across Europe? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the rules : "registered and operating US-based companies;"

    Hey, there are customers, ideas and willing developers in the rest of the world ! I'll be happy to participate if you plan a similar operation with the good ol' Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Olivier's comment, some love to the Europe would be a good investment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about us small time guys that don't have the need for the overhead of a company. I do independent contracting and build some stuff on my own. I make a decent living, and I have some (IMHO) neat ideas for TV-centric web apps, but since I'm such a small player at this point, it is harder for me to justify the cost of new hardware. It seems like people like me could benefit more from this than an established company that can already afford the hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disappointing that the UK gets left behind again, along with many Google/Gmail apps that we also don't get use off...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to get such a devise in this pilot.
    I'm in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do these devices work with standard digital antennas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Which developers on Google Code will be included in the "thousands" to be offered a free device?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want one. I have an idea to be developed on Google TV.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Submitted an entry on their site. Really hoping my company is offered one of these. There is tons of opportunity to develop for these devices...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What about an "other open source project"? We're not a company to be able to fill out your company submission, and have been self-hosted since before google code existed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. when we get the turn for India please intimate us

    ReplyDelete
  15. Only for US-based companies :( They will have a kickstart compare to other like us not able to get their hands on one...

    perl -pi -e 's/appletv/googletv/gi' network/*.*

    ReplyDelete
  16. how about the devs who have apps with > 250,000 downloads? or combine that with the open source ones that are on code.google.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can anyone explain why Google TV is getting blocked from streaming the main content providers like ABC, CBS, Hulu etc? Additionally, the Netflix app that I have will not let me watch Netflix movies and tells me to go to a "Neflix compatible" device.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Google TV is getting blocked because content providers are scared.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very selective launch group with just the US companies being able to go ahead and apply.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It means a lot to me
    I can keep an eye on
    my horse and his life-stile .

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's good. I want to be a lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do love Google projects, we adopted Google Apps at my Church!
    My wife and I are very envolved with all Google stuff on the daly basis!

    Thanks all Google team!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know why they aren't providing free Google TV to consumers...ultimately they are the ones that are gonna make or break this idea. If you people at Google get a clue and decide to reach out to the people that really matter than drop me a line and hook me up so I can play around and give "REAL" and "IMPORTANT" feed back and ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey,
    Can I do start a business in India with Google TV services.

    Do let me know

    ReplyDelete
  25. would be interesting to know if Google snaps up the ideas of individual developers and then make it their own? What about the copyrights of submitters? Didn't read anything about that anywhere. Submitting would be fine - but if it's a commercial viable future trend - how can the little guy then win?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pls i will like to ave one so as to promote by business.

    ReplyDelete
  27. ...can't wait 4 dev Apps & services for Google TV @ Greece & Cyprus. Feel free contact me help as a Google TV developer! :) :) ;)
    tnx
    Dimitris

    ReplyDelete
  28. no TV for Android developers?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think Google TV will be very popular in Australia. Can't wait for it to become available here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Europe calling, we want our Google TVs please. (I work for a music video website company, be great to get our content onto the TV.)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I want to submit my name for consideration for this. I have a great idea for content distribution with a great potential for target audience that I would like to share if contacted. Give me an opportunity to at least share the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just got one! Have to wait for the shipment. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you GoogleTV team! I just learned I am selected for promotion. Keep your good work!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello there,

    i am interested in getting a device...and am in san jose

    ReplyDelete